Url with special characters not working after move

If you have questions about using mojoPortal, you can post them here.

You may want to first review our site administration documentation to see if your question is answered there.

This thread is closed to new posts. You must sign in to post in the forums.
6/23/2011 5:43:29 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 123
/Mats Lillnor

Url with special characters not working after move

mojoPortal 2.3.6.6 / SQL 2008 R2 / .NET 4 / IIS 7.5 (Win 2K8 R2)

I have a private website for project management.

Today I moved the site from one server to another, by doing this:

  • Backed up the database and then restored it on another SQL Server.
  • sat up a new website with same settings o another webserver.
  • Zipped the wwwroot-folder, copied it to the new server and unpacked it
  • Updated user.config and web.comfig with connection strings and smtp-setting
  • started the site.

Have done this process several times before with no problems, but now there are some problems.

URLs for pages that have swedish characters in them (åäö) does not work anymore. It gives this error:

Error Code: 500 Internal Server Error. The request was rejected by the HTTP filter. Contact the server administrator. (12217)

I have fixed it for the most part by changing URLs for the pages with characters without dots, but there is also some Calendar (Calendar Pro) events that have these characters in the URL (unfortunatele the Swedish word for Project Meeting is "projektmöte" and we have a lot of these). So my fix is not sufficient.

Same OS and SQL version and as far as I know the same setting, but there must something that is different.

When testing to create a page with these characters, the URL-field does not get updated when you change focus to it.

Normal pages is not a problem, but how do I get around the issue with calendar pages where the URL is constructed from the calendar event's title.

Any clue on which setting in the IIS that is different?

(I have complete Administration access to the web server and SQL-server and it is me who has installed it).

/Mats

 

 

 

 

6/23/2011 6:23:55 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 1196
Proud member of the mojoPortal team

Help support mojoPortal!
Add-on modules

Re: Url with special characters not working after move

Hi Mats, I've never worked with non-English characters, so I'm not sure what IIS setting controls that, but you may get to a good starting point by disabling the "friendly" error page as detailed in basic troubleshooting. The full error message may give more detail about which setting is throwing the error. Be sure to change back to friendly errors when done so you don't expose any sensitive info through error codes.

Jamie

6/24/2011 9:53:23 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 2183

Re: Url with special characters not working after move

Hi Mats,

Is your server behind an ISA Server or Forefront Threat Management Gateway Server? That error is indicative of having "Block High Bit Characters" turned on in ISA for the rule that allows http traffic to your server.

HTH,
Joe D.

6/24/2011 12:38:21 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 123
/Mats Lillnor

Re: Url with special characters not working after move

YES it is!

The new server is published behind an ISA-server, but the old one was behind another firewall.

Fact is, that I didn't notice this until I came home. I transferred the server at my work ant of course tested everything and didn't find any errors. This must be the cause since at work the traffic does notpast the ISA.

I have full control over the ISA as well, so I will look into this on Monday.

Is this a setting in the web publishing rule, or is a setting on the listener?
 

Thanks a lot for your help that you give even if this is not strictly mojoPortal related.

 

/Mats

6/24/2011 2:14:33 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 2183

Re: Url with special characters not working after move

Glad to hear we may have found the cause of the problem.

The setting will be in the HTTP Policy for the Web Publishing Rule. Right-click on the rule, select "Configure HTTP" and remove the check on "Block high bit characters."

HTH,
Joe D

6/27/2011 2:25:01 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 123
/Mats Lillnor

Re: Url with special characters not working after move

Thank you very much Joe!

Spot on! The "Block high bit characters" was set on the ISA-server and after removing that it works flawlessly!

Very stupid default-setting in ISA-server in my opinion, but now i know at least.

 

BR

/Mats

You must sign in to post in the forums. This thread is closed to new posts.