Things are changing rapidly in Mono. I packaged those files without testing them. Since then I have tried and I can't get it to work either so I put the previous release files for mono back up 18.104.22.168b which is included on the Mono 1.9 VMWare iamge and does work.
I'm trying to build the latest Mono from svn to test the latest mojoPortal but having trouble compiling Mono due to some issue on my installation of gcc.
Wish I could be more help. I know some of the things they are working on in Mono to support mojoPortal did not make it into the 1.9 release, like support for CSS Control Adapters which is in svn right now but may still have some issues. So I'm thining the next Mono release is going to be the one where mojoportal works and looks the same on Mono (other than WebParts).