database user does not have permission to alter the database schema,

Post here for help with installing or upgrading mojoPortal pre-compiled release packages. When posting in this forum, please provide all relevant details. You may also want to review the installation or upgrading documentation.

If you have questions about using the source code or working with mojoPortal in Visual Studio, please post in the Developer forum.

Post here for help with installation of mojoPortal pre-compiled release packages

When posting in this forum, please try to provide as many relevant details as possible. Particularly the following:

  • What operating system were you running when the bug appeared?
  • What database platform is your site using?
  • What version of mojoPortal are you running?
  • What version of .NET do you use?
  • What steps are necessary to reproduce the issue? Compare expected results vs actual results.

You may also want to review the installation or upgrading documentation.

If you have questions about using the source code or working with mojoPortal in Visual Studio, please post in the Developer forum.

11/29/2017 3:09:15 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 5

Database user does not have permission to alter the database schema

I am trying to install mojoPortal on mysql database as an application on a server with an existing website, when running setup I get an error

"database user does not have permission to alter the database schema"

but the user has permissions, this is evident by the fact that the test table is created in my database.

I tested the installation on my local computer with the same database and it worked, I dunno if it's a good idea to develop the site on my local computer and then copy it over to the server? I thought I could deploy it as an application in IIS and the old website would continue to run while I develop the new one.

 

One more thing, while testing things out locally I noticed that the install scripts have inconsistent capitalization and some of them thus fail if you are running your mysql database on an unix system where the default setting for the database are for the table names to be case sensitive.

I had to change setup/applicaations/blog/schemaupgradescripts/mysql/2.6.1.9.config to ensure that the installation completed succesfully.


Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.7.2106.0
MySQL version 5.6.35

11/29/2017 11:39:26 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 1991

Re: database user does not have permission to alter the database schema,

Hi,

The user account you are using in the user.config file doesn't have access to the modify the schema. If it did, the message wouldn't show up. Please review the permissions for the user on the server, not your local machine. The user accounts on the server are different than those on your local computer, they do not get transported with the database.

Thanks for the note on the inconsistent capitalization. We fixed this a few weeks ago and the fix is in the repo. We will be releasing a new version of mojoPortal shortly with the fix there as well.

Thank you,
Joe 

 

 

11/29/2017 1:58:39 PM
Gravatar
Total Posts 5

Re: database user does not have permission to alter the database schema,

This is what I did, I configured user.config to to the correct database, user name and password, I then got this error message, I went over to the database, saw that the test database got created.

Then I copied the user.config file to my local folder with the website and ran it from there with the same settings as on the server and it worked.

Hope this clears it up.

11/30/2017 12:42:38 AM
Gravatar
Total Posts 5

Re: database user does not have permission to alter the database schema,

It is morning here so I can test this again, just to be sure, this is my database before running setup from the server: Before

This is the same database after running setup: After

and This is the error message: Error

Since the setup process creates a table in the database I would guess it has sufficient permissions to alter the schema. This only happens when running from the remote server, everything works as it should when running locally with literally the same user.config file. It's the same database I just dropped all the tables created by the setup before trying to do it from the server.