I was trying to solve a sorting bug in the RSS feed aggregator that only happens under mono. At first I thought it was in the DataView.Sort method but it turned out to be a difference in DateTime.Parse behaviour under mono than under windows.
Anyway I needed to rule out the mono version so I pulled the latest greatest mono code from svn as I've done about a dozen times in the past to see if it was fixed in svn.
Much to my dismay the latest mono code broke one of my web sites.
Right now http://www.joeaudette.com is offline though it could just have easily been this site. Whenever I restart apache, whichever site gets a request first works and the others don't. So mojoportal got the first request and joeaudette.com is returning an error.
I remember this was a bug in a previous version of mono. I posted to the mono-devel list but so far no reply. Of course it is a beautiful weekend so maybe they're all out playing, I couldn't blame them.
I really don't want to have to try and revert to an older version but I also hate to have my site offline
UPDATE 4/17/2005 2:30PM CST
Big thanks to Atsushi Eno! Whatever was causing the problem is now fixed as of mono revision 41350
Now all my sites are working happily again. Thats what I call fast response from the community, within 24 hours of reporting the problem it is fixed.
Also thanks to Joseph Hill for telling me about a work around to the problem by running each site in its own instance of mono. Good to know I could do that if it became neccessary but glad I didn't have to.
I guess the moral of the story is it would be good to have a staging server where I could test the latest svn with my sites prior to updating the production server. I do have an extra machine so I may do that soon, though its a wimpy p2 450 so it will be a slow build process working with that machine.
Saturday, April 16, 2005 12:22:43 PM