First let me say that a new release is going to be made by late sunday night with some great new features including newsletter and google maps so I hope you will evaluate the new version.
Secondly, I would like to point out that you can evaluate it at a high level without installing it at all by using the online demo site. The demo site is running a recent build whereas the .zip download release files are the older previous release.
If you do want to set it up on your laptop, how you set it up depends on whether you plan to work with the source code or not. The easiest thing is if you have VS 2008 and TortoiseSVN, then
- get the code from svn trunk which is the most up to date code
- open the Web/user.config.sample file with a text editor and save it as Web/user.config
- create a database in MS SQL and set the connection string in user.config
- open the mojoportal-complete.sln in VS 2008 and build the solution
- Right click the Web project and make sure it is set as the sartup project
- Hit the play button in VS to launch the web in the VS web server and it will initiate the setup
- alternatively if you want to run it in IIS then follow the IIS setup instructions
If you have VS 2005 SP1instead of VS 2008 then same instructions but use the mojoportal-complete-vs2005.sln
If you don't want to work with the source code then download the zip mojoportal-version-mssqlreleasefiles and follow the IIS setup instructions. Ideally wait for monday and get the new release.
If you run into problems or have more specific questions post here and we'll try to help.
Of course procedure for installation at a hosting company varies.
Hope it helps,